Kynar® PVDF for High Efficiency Face Masks
(N95, FFP1, FFP2, FFP3, KN95)
Arkema is a world leading supplier of high purity PVDF polymers designed for extreme performance. With a proven legacy of more than 50 years, we are a trusted solution provider committed to help you overcome the most difficult challenges of today.
In the world of COVID-19 we are faced with many challenges on how to adapt to everyday living while wearing PPE like face masks. In partnership with our strategic customers, Arkema is playing a leadership role in the development and commercialization of high performance ultra-fine fiber filtration media derived from high purity Kynar® PVDF .
Our highly trained filtration team can support you in choosing specific polymer grades, formulating guidelines (i.e. solvent selection), and networking with global media and face mask manufacturing companies.
PVDF electrospun fiber media technology is enabling the production of high efficiency face masks (i.e. N95, FFP1, FFP2, FFP3, KN95). Electrospun fine fiber media made from Kynar® PVDF offers an outstanding alternative solution to Polypropylene Meltblown media when used as the middle layer for Surgical Masks and for Surgical Respirators.
Electrospun Kynar® PVDF has added benefits over competitive non-wovens including:
- Extremely durable, with long lasting high filtration efficiency
- Outstanding balance of light weight and high strength
- Outstanding retention of electric charge compared to meltblown PP - as documented by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) Read more.
- Low pressure drop, resulting in excellent breathability (human comfort)
- High purity
- Tremendus chemical resistance and heat resistance i.e. various cleaning and sanitizing processes (UV-C, low concentrations of alcohol, certain peroxides, heating up to 100°C/212°F)
- Easily processed with a broad electrospinning process window
Kynar® PVDF can be electrospun onto a large range of non-woven textile substrates including: